Work and Travel USA - English


            Want to spend an unforgettable summer in the U.S.? Work and Travel U.S.A. – this is what you need! The most popular student exchange program gives you an opportunity to work in America for 4 month, while earning from $7.25 to $12 an hour, see the Statue of Liberty/Hollywood/Grand Canyon (underline preferred ) with your own eyes, improve your English and have a great time! You benefit from this trip by being able to cover your travel expenses, and even to make some money!

We offer work in amusement parks, restaurants, hotels, swimming pools, shops, national parks and more. Our noticeable difference from other agencies is that you get to choose where to work!

You can participate if:

·         you are an undergraduate student and you have reached the age of 18

·         you study English language

            The cost of the program “Work and Travel USA” depends on the version of the program – whether it includes job placementand housing, or not, with or without aplaneticket, as well as it depends onwhen you joined theprogram, because during the year the cost changes.This year the cost of the program Work and Travel USA including taxes, visa, medical insurance, airline tickets and travel for interviews are $ 2000-2500, depending on the city in which you will be working in the U.S. (the most expensive tickets areto Alaska).

            As a present for second-timers we have a bonus-offer “Bring a friend”. Sign a contract with a friend who is traveling to the U.S. For the first time – and get a $50 off both!

                                  Work and Travel USA is an international student exchange program, founded by the U.S. State Department. Russian students have been participating in this program for over than 20 years now. So all put doubts aside and start your adventure now! Student Agency is an official partner of several program sponsors, which is why we can offer the best placements for Work and Travel in Kaliningrad. Still thinking? Well, then here are some reasons to start packing bags:

·         You are passionate about traveling? When will you have a chance to hop on the other side of the planet, spend 3-4 months there, see the Broadway, Grand-Canyon or Hollywood!

·         Planning to build your career? Good English and abroad work experience notably benefits you amongst others.

·      Tired of exams, bored  by the routine, underestimated by parents? Change your surroundings, make new friends from all over the world and just have a lot of fun!

Work and Travel USA

            As for official information: Work and Travel USA starts May 15th and ends September 15th . It means that you may travel to America any day in May – June and come back in August - September. It only depends on your preferences and your university's approval. Basing on the Certificate of the Eligibility for Exchange Program (DS-2019 form) program participants  are issued  a J-1 visa, which allows them to legally work in the U.S. for up to 4 months. One month upon the job end date is granted for traveling. But nothing actually keeps you from going for mini-trips at weekends, you just have to buy a bus ticket, rent a car or find a good company of locals – and you're good to go!

            Students usually have customer service jobs in resort towns: restaurants, hotels, shops, amusement and entertainment parks and also national parks and reservations. Work and Travel students normally earn as much as their American colleagues – from $7.25 to $12  per hour. Accommodation is usually provided by an employer or program sponsor, it can be free of charge sometimes (for example, in a hotel if it's a workplace), but the customary charge is $40-$100 per week. However, wages might not cover all of the expenses and that students should bring additional personal funds.

           Why Student Agency?

“There are lots of agencies! Why should I choose Student Agency to travel to America as an exchange-student?”

1.     We are not just travel agents. Work and Travel USA and work abroad programs is our specialization for a number of years. We know all details of the participation process and we will diligently prepare you for the trip;

2.    We work directly with the USA partners. We don't have intermediary  agencies in Moscow or Saint-Petersburg, which makes us more flexible and prompt;

3.    Student Agency is accredited by the U.S. Embassy in Moscow and the Consulate General Of the U.S. in Saint-Petersburg as a Work and Travel representative company – we have a good reputation and a low visa denial rate.

4.    Individual approach to every participant – we are always here to assist you with anything.

5.    We have the lowest program prices. Take a look at our price list and compare!

6.    Unlike other agencies, we always give our participants an opportunity to choose – you get to choose your job yourself and ahead of time!

7.    We work only with trusted companies and choose the most interesting job offers;

8.    The program fee is flat: you may feel absolutely confident about prices for air tickets. We will take care of booking the tickets – and their price is included in your program fee.

9.    All our employees have participated in the program themselves, so we advice our students basing on our own experience, not Internet articles.

10.  In case of a visa denial we give you a full refund.

11.  We have a license for job placement of Russian citizens abroad issued by the Federal Migration Service. This means that all our operations are officially legal (FMS License # 20109391097).


How to apply

If you are:

1.     A full-time university student (years 1 – 4);

2.    Between 18 and 25 years old;

3.    Studying English

….than you can become a participant of Work and Travel program!


            Enrollment starts in September and ends in March (the exact date depend on dates set by the U.S. Consulate in Saint-Petersburg, they change every year). But it's better to hurry up – the program's price increases by the end of the enrollment period, besides, the best job offers are always taken first. So, in order to avoid the rush with documents and hustle with exams at your university – apply before the New Year.


Step 1:Students fill out the registration form, you can do it on-line on our website or at our office in Kaliningrad: Student Agency, 4a Ploshad Pobedy, office #603. Phone no.: 7(4012)524-353.

Step 2:After signing a contract with us, you will need to provide us the following documents:

1.     Travel passport that is valid for at least six moth after your planned arrival from the U.S.;

2.    School Certificate confirming your student status;

3.    Visa photo in electronic form (required resolution is no less that 300 dpi, size - 600x600 pixels);

4.    Your CV in English language. You can download the CV sample by clicking this |link|. Should you have any questions or need help – feel free to contact us!

5.  For those who are looking for the job themselves – the job offer filled out and signed by your future U.S. employers is required;


Step 4: When your package of documents is ready, we send it to the program sponsor in the U.S. Sponsors are the companies that are entitled to issue  DS-2019 forms allowing exchange students to legally work in the U.S.A. There are only a few tens of those organizations in America, you can see the full list on this website: http://exchanges.state.gov/jexchanges/

            We work directly with sponsors, without a mediation of other agencies in Moscow or Saint-Petersburg. This is why we have the lowest program price (check it out!), we are more flexible and prompt in assisting our participants.

Step 5:job searching and receiving of DS-2019 form from sponsor, which is a basis for a U.S. visa issuance. You choose the type and place of job, then the employer. After that you will have to pass a skype interview. If you pass your interview successfully, you will get a Job offer –  the official document that describes the conditions of the job: wage per hour, name and  location of the employer, the amount of hours per week, housing, uniforms etc.


Step 6:  Applying for a U.S. visa and planning your trip to Saint-Petersburg or Moscow for a visa interview. We carefully prepare every participant for an interview and the probability of the visa denial is low – 3-5%. Though a visa denial is certainly unpleasant matter, nevertheless it's not tragic: you will have your chance next year.

Step 7:So, you have a visa, you can start packing your bags =). Now, you and your parents must be thinking: “What do I do in a foreign country, alone, what if I get confused?”. Don't worry! We will prepare you for the trip: in spring we arrange an orientation meeting for the participants where we tell about aspects of life in the U.S.A., about how to apply for a Social Security card, how to communicate with your employer, what to do if you have issues, how to use your medical insurance, etc. In addition to that, your sponsor in America has a 24-hour operating hot line and  you can contact them to solve any occurring issues.


Program Options

Our agency has formulated 4 options of the program, so you can choose the one that fits you most:

1.     “Eco” – we provide you with the program, but you search a job yourself (or your friends help you to find one). Also you book your plane tickets yourself. This option is mostly for “experienced” participants who have traveled before.

2.    “Self” - participants find a job themselves (or with help of friends), but we provide them with round-trip air tickets. This way you don't have to worry about increasing tickets prices.

3.    “Basic” - the price includes job placement. But you book plane tickets yourself.

4.    “Full” - everything is included in price (job placement with housing and air tickets). It's a perfect option if you are traveling for the first time and you want to have everything set for you, cares and troubles-free. 

Working in the U.S.

The jobs for J-1 students are in the seasonal customer-service sector: restaurants, hotels, amusement parks, shops, swimming pools. Your position and wage depends on your skills and level English. Students earn $7.25 to $12 per hour, and if they work more than 40 hours a week, it means that they work overtime, which is paid 1.5 more than the regular rate.

Applicants should understand that the program's stipend or wages might not cover all of the program expenses, and applicants should bring additional personal funds to cover living expenses.

A lot of students travel around the United States after work portion of their program: they to go to Las-Vegas, San-Francisco, Jamaica or Hawaii – it's real!

The point is that those seasonal jobs don't require a education or a lot of experience from students, especially positions of housekeepers in hotels, kitchen staff and other jobs that don't require a lot of communication. But if you do want to communicate with people and work as a waitress/waiter, a lifeguard, than you have to take your English lessons more serious. At any rate, you will have time to improve your language skills before an interview with a sponsor or a trip to the U.S.

Work and Travel students usually work on following positions:


Work in hotels

Working in a hotel is one of the most popular types of jobs on Work and Travel USA. This is due tothe fact that this type of employment offers a great variety of vacancies for students with poor command (pre-intermediate) of English. Usuallyhotels hire people for positions of housekeepers(that means cleaning the rooms),  butthere are also other different jobs. Hotel often offer rotating positions that combine several duties(for example cleaning rooms and working as a porter at the same time). There are lots of huge world hotel chains as Sheraton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Radissonand others, but maybe you’ll feel much more comfortable in a small cozy hotel.


Jobs in a hotel:

·      Hostess

·      Housekeeper

·      Hotel staff

·      Waiter (assistant of a waiter)

·      Laundry assistant

·      Area Worker


Workin a restaurant/café/bistro

Working in a restaurant might be tiresome, but the advantages arefree meals (or a discount for meals in a restaurant) and good tips. Also you communicate with a lot of people every day, so it's a great chance to improve your English! If you don't feel very confident about your language, but really like working with food, you may choose a position of kitchen helper or a dishwasher, they are simple and not overwhelmingly-communicated. Types of restaurants are very different: from big exquisite restaurants to fast food cafes. The best thing about this type of work is that there are thousands of restaurants, coffee shops and cafesall over the USA thatneed personnel all the time.



·      Dishwasher

·      Cook assistant / line cook

·      Cashier

·      Waiter (waiter assistant)

·      Kitchen worker

·      Busser / food runner

·      Crew member


Work at resorts

Resorts usually offer jobs in hotel and restaurant departments. Students work thereas waiters, dishwashers, cleaners and housekeepers. American resorts are scattered all around the country, and most of them are located in gorgeous areas, surrounded by mountains, lakes or forests. Resorts often provide free accommodation and/or meals, so it notably decreases your expenses on living and lets you save for your vacation. Just think of it: Americansspend thousands ofdollars to stay in places with high comfort, beautiful surroundings and good servicefor a couple of weeks –and you stay there for three months and get paid! :)


Work atamusement parks

There are lots of various amusement parks in the USA (for example Disney World, Six Flags etc.) and thematic parks where students from different countries are hired for summer. Mostly working in parks means working as ride operators, ice-cream and pop-corn sellers, territory cleaners, and cashiers in gift shops. One of the advantages of working in amusement parks is to use all the attractions for free! This also means that happymood will surround you allday long and you’ll get lots of positive emotions. One of the responsibilities of the amusement park operators isto provide safety for guests and this means that you’ll socialize with them quite often and that’s why there is no possibility to work there not knowing the language well enough.


·      rideoperator

·      salesman (sweets, souvenirs)

·      territory cleaner/ area worker

·      jobs in a café (preparing and selling food)


Work in National Parks

Every year national parks in the U.S.A. hire stuff forsummer time because it's the most busy season of the year.. Most parks are located in the western part of the country, farfrom big cities, which means that there is not a lot going on around, all the nightlife is in cities. On the other hand,this also saves a lot of money for your vacation! Also working at the national parks givesyou anopportunity to enjoy fresh air and see the most beautiful places of America. The most popular national parks in America are Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Death Valley, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Great Smoky Mountains, Sequoia, Glacier, Zion, Grand Teton и т.д. Более подробную информацию можно найти на сайте www.us-national-parks.net.

Your main duties there will be cleaning the areas, kitchen help, assisting waiters, selling souvenirs and other.



Work in shops and supermarkets

A lot of students participate in Work and Travel program not only just to improve their English, but also to get useful work experience – it is a great opportunity to learn new selling techniques and customer-communication skills. Cashiers are needed in fast-food cafes, ice-cream and candy stores, sometimes in clothing and cosmetics shops. To get a job offer there you have to speak very good English, be sociable and know how to work with a cash register. Besides, working at a fast-food place you will have to help around the kitchen and perform basic cleaning tasks. The amount of job offers in sales is usually not very big, so don't consider them as your only choice. But those who get them, come home with great customer service experience.

Also it can be your second job, for example,  you can work as a loader in a supermarket, or a stocker – normally it is an overnight job. Yes, it's hard work, but gives you an opportunity to combine two jobs and get more money, if that is your goal.

Working as a lifeguard in a swimming pool

Some of you might not want to go to America just to clean rooms or make burgers. If you are physically fit, a good swimmer a you speak good English – the lifeguard job is just for you! 

The job of a lifeguard is to provide safety for all pool visitors.

Before you start work, you will have to take a swimming and giving first aid tests to get an American Red Cross Certificate. Student agency is an authorized recruiter for High Sierra Pools company that employs lifeguards and has work locations all around the east coast area. We arrange the lifeguard training and swimming tests and in Kaliningrad, so you will be fully prepared for the trip.


Some of you might have heard about the job of a seafood processor in Alaska. Unfortunately, this type of job is prohibited by the State Department from 2013. So applicants with those job offers will not be issued visas.

Alaska as a state where students can work is still allowed though. It is a gorgeous state with a lot of hotels and resorts that have jobs for J-1 students. So don't get scared away from Alaska, it is still a big resource of jobs!


How to find a job yourself

Many students think that it is absolutely impossible to find the job on your own, but the experience of other participants proves the opposite. The best reason to choose this option is that you choose the state, the job and the employer yourself, so you are unlimited in your choice.

If this is what you want to do, we advice to start searching a job as soon as possible. There are thousands of other J-1 students looking for a summer job, and chances to leave behind your competitors in finding a good place are lower and lower every day.

However, please,  remember that the job that you eventually find, must comply with the program rules. There are certain types of jobs that are prohibited for Work and Travel USA participants:


·         Work at factories, manufacturing plants, construction sites – any hard physical work;

·         Work at traveling fairs;

·         Work at “adult” types of entertainment clubs;

·         Work as a traveling salesperson;

·         Work at private houses: as a gardener, nanny, driver etc.;

·         Any commercial transportation service;

·         Work with patients and elderly care.


Where to start from?

At first you really have to evaluate your resources. If your English is “not so good”, than there are not so many chances that an employer would hire you for a position that requires a lot of communication with customers, like a position of waitress or sales assistant.

In this case, try to look for these positions:

·         Busser

·         Housekeeper/cleaner

·         Maintenance

·         Mover

·         Amusement park attendant/rides operator

Those, who speak average (Intermediate level) English, may apply for jobs like:

·         Crew member (usually in “fast-food” venues);

·         Kitchen worker, Kitchen assistant;

·         Server, Food runner

·         Amusement park attendant  rides operator

·         Sales person

And students, who speak fluent/Advanced English, are free to choose from high-communicated jobs with opportunity to get tipped:

·         Waiter/Waitress

·         Cashier

·         Host/Hostess

·         Bartender

How to look for a job?

There are several ways to find a job.

The most popular one is, obviously, Internet search. It also includes several way to do it:

First option: searching for a job on specialized web-sites that publish vacancies for seasonal workers and international exchange program participants.

The most popular among WaT students is: http://j1jobs.com

You will have to create an account and fill out a standard resume form.

When sending your resume for a certain position that you are interested in, don't neglect the “Comments” section if applicable, or putting a little comment when attaching a resume to an e-mail. It often appears that employers consider those candidates who have briefly described themselves in comments. We advise to be clear and laconic, for example:

«Dear …,

My name is Ivan, I’m a participant of Work and Travel USA program. I speak English on a fluent level. I’m hardworking, dependable, organized and cheerful person and I will be happy to join your team next Summer.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards, Ivan»

The markable seasonal job searching web-sites are:




craiglist.org is quite popular and useful too, it lets you choose the region, state or city of your job. For job searching we recommend to click the category “food/beverages/hospitality” from a drop-down menu. The main plus of this web-site is that it's quite common in the U.S.A. and the job list updates every day. The main minus of that web-site is that the majority of published vacancies is urgent and require an immediate start. However, it is a good ground for searching the contacts of hotels, bars or entertainment complexes.

Craigslist-like web-sites:



Second option: finding contacts of businesses in town or state, that potentially might hire you.

For example, if you want to work in the amusement park, you can use this web-site: http://www.themeparkcity.com/USA_index.htm, it is a list of thematic parks from all around the country with links to their web-sites. When you go to one of the parks web-site, you can find the “Contacts” page or  “employment/job/careers” section where you can send your job application or send your CV.

To find restaurants, bars, cafes and hotels in a certain city or town, you can use this web-site: http://citydearch.com

Third option – with a help of friends. If you have friends who have already been in the U.S.A. on Work & Travel Program who kept the contacts of their former U.S. employers, you can ask them to help you. Usually employers, that hire J-1 students for summer, they do it every season. The recommendation of your friend would help you a lot it this case.

This option also gives you a benefit of knowing all the positive and negative moments of this job ahead of time, because your friend will tell you everything about it.


Any way you choose requires careful work on your CV to spark interest of the employer.

When sending your resumes, you have to address to every employer individually (Dear Mr. Smith/ Dear Amy), if you know their names. If the name is unknown, you can write “ Dear Management of Baskin Robbins”


How to find housing in the U.S.?

Looking for accommodation can sometimes be not any less tiresome than job searching. Some employers (but not all of them) provide housing to their employees. Those who are lucky to be provided one, most likely will have to pay for it. The monthly payment will be deducted from their paychecks. If the provided housing is located far from the place of work, you should find out the way to get to work (public transportation, bicycle, employer-provided car etc.). Don't count on your colleagues giving you a ride to work every day :).

If the employer does not provide housing, then ask them for possible assistance. As an alternative you can always use Internet. With its help you can find out what apartments are for rent in the area of your job location. The amount of offers may differ depending on the part of U.S. you're in. If you work at a big city, the housing cost is higher. You can check available apartments in the newspaper or advice with the real-estate agencies. If you are in a small town, obviously, the housing cost is lower.

Also, if you work in a big city, getting to your workplace will not be an issue, because a lot of American cities have a well-developed public transportation system. But in small towns it is different.

You can get a lot of useful information from web-searching systems like Yahoo!. You can find out about your city's public transport, companies that operate there, weather, estate, job announcements and other. To find out which local newspaper are available online, visit Yahoo's US Newspaper Listings.

These web-resourses also have information on housing for rent:




Here are some key-words that can help you: roommate services ; share accommodation ; youth hostels ; newspaper classified.

While you are searching for something, you can stay in a youth hostel. But if you arrive in the country already having necessary phone numbers and addresses, you can really save a lot of time.

Please, note:agreeing to rent an apartment without preliminary viewing the place can sometimes be risky. When it is really cheap, there might be a rather objective reason for that. Most likely it is located in a bad neighborhood or it's condition is not what you've  expected. Don't buy a pig in a poke, check the place that they are offering you. If that appears to be impossible, than ask in detail everything about it.

Also, to save your money, contact other J-1 students who are going to the same town with you. You can meet them at our orientation meeting.

Useful web-sites:


Youth hostels all around the U.S.A.

Ski Country Hostels

List of hotels located in the winter resort areas

Ski Town.com

Web-searching system for finding housing in the winter resort areas

Sublet Swap.com

Apartments to sublet

Summer Exchange.com

Accommodation in bug U.S. cities

Yahoo Rentals

Search of short-term and long-term housing all around th U.S.

Youth Hostel Association

Big network of American youth hostels

"For Rent" Apartment Magazine

Apartments for rent


Forums and notice-boards:

High Country Jobs.com

Notice-board with rooms sharing section

Jobs in Paradise

Forum about housing for rent (check "Free Housing Help"), has a lot of useful information

Ski Town.com

Forum about searching for housing in  winter resort areas


A lot of student s will work in resorts during summer tourist season. It is possible, but very hard to find housing at that time and the rent cost is quite high. Searching for apartment can take more than 2 weeks, so you should prepare yourself to be staying in a hotel until you find something.

There are some aspects of choosing the accommodation that have to be considered. The place of living can make a lot of impact on how well you adapt to  the new country and new people. You will be offered a lot of options, but you should choose the one that complies with your needs and finances. We recommend you to start searching while you are still in your home country. Contact your employer at least a few weeks before your departure to the U.S. to find out how to find an apartment for the time of staying in America.

Ask yourself these questions:

·      Will the apartment be furnished?

·      Will I walk to work or take public transportation?

·      Where is the nearest bus station?

·      How far are the grocery shops and banks from it?

·      How much is the rent for similar apartments?

·      How soon can I move in?

·      How much will i have to pay to move in (housing deposit, monthly rent in advance etc.)?

·      How safe is it here?

·      Can I share room/apartment with someone?

·      Is there a laundry room in the building or somewhere around?

If you are going to have a roommate, ask them the following questions before you move in:

·      How much is the rent? What are the additional fees/expenses?

·      Do you mind if I will have guests sometimes?

·      What do you think of smoking or drinking alcohol in the room?

·      How will we split expenses for food?

·      Are you neat?

·      How will we maintain cleanliness and order in the room?

·      Do I have to sign a lease agreement?


If you are deciding whether to share or not, remember, that some help is always useful. The cost of utilities, phone bills and rent can be split between several people. If you move in with someone, who is already renting a place, you avoid spending a lot of money on tableware and basic furniture. Also it is easier to pay for food and, ultimately, it is a great chance to meet a new friend! Agencies that work with apartments to sublet can help you with that. For a reasonable fee they can provide you with a list of people who are looking for roommates. Check the yellow pages for the contacts of those agencies in your town.

Provided housing

If the employer provides you with housing, this can be a budget-prised and convenient option for you. You might be asked to sign an agreement and pay a deposit. Utilities are not always included in the rent. The positive factor of living in an employer-provided housing is setting good relationships with your colleagues. Most likely you will have to share a room with one of them. Living in the bustling and active atmosphere there is the best way to get submersed the life of the new community. Besides, the staff houses are usually located very close to the place of work.

Special advertisements

You can find a wide range of apartments for rent in the newspapers. Just look through the advertisements and choose the one that complies with your needs and budget. When you call the landlord, ask them whether the place is furnished, how far is it form the nearest laundrette/grocery shop/bank/shopping center/post office/bus and train stop. Don't forget to ask them about the period which the place is rented for, about the deposit, about the possibility of a short-term leasing and the safety of the neighborhood. There is a very high demand in a lot of places, so don't waste your time and hurry up. Be patient though, as searching for an apartment can be long and tiresome.

Fair leasing

Despite that we hope you would never need to use this information, the experience shows that some students might have problems with their landlords. If you feel you were taken advantage of, call this toll-free number and you will be helped: 1-800-669-9777. It is a phone number of the agency that helps tenants whose rights were discriminated.

Remember: you must carefully read a lease agreement before signing it! By signing it you automatically agree to all terms and conditions listed in it.

How to rent a place?

·         Most likely you will be asked to pay a deposit and rent for the first month in advance. Those can be very substantial fees, so be prepared accordingly. If you are going to live with someone, than the cost reduces for you.

·         You will be returned your deposit when moving out if didn't harm or break anything in the place or around it. To insure yourself, view everything throughly with the landlord before moving in. Make sure that if something is damaged or out of order, that the landlord documents it right on the spot, so there will be no issues with that in the future.

·         To become a tenant you have to sign a leasing agreement, which allows you to live in that place for a certain amount of time. The term of such a contract may vary from one month to one year. Don't sign an agreement that obligates you to stay in the apartment for more than you are planning, because if you move out earlier that you agreed, you don't get your deposit back. So, please, read it carefully. Spoken agreement doesn't give you any rights.

·         Sign only an agreement that has all the conditions and dates and protects your rights and rights of your landlord. It must have move-in and -out dates, the cost of monthly rent, the amount of deposit and other important details.


Every so often some tenants of apartments have to leave somewhere for a while and they look for a person to stay there, which would help them to save money for rent. This is a very common thing in American student towns. Look through a section about short-term leasing in you town to find out about available options.

Renting subletting or sharing?

When you rent a place, you have to sign an agreement with the owner. When you rent a sublet apartment, you sign an agreement with the original tenant. When you share an apartment roommate, you split expenses for rent.

Youth Hostels

It is a clean and safe type of accommodation. They are scattered all over the U.S.A. In this type of hotels you will not be offered services that a normal hotel would provide, but you will have a bed to sleep on and a kitchen to cook yourself food. The main thing about hostels is that you share a room with other travelers, so it is a perfect way to find new friends. The majority of the youth hostels are usually overbooked in the summer season so consider booking your room in advance. In New York hostels it is impossible to move in without booking it beforehand. The average price for a night in a hostel is $15 per person. A lot of them have low-priced meals at the cafeteria or  a self-service kitchen.

The most popular global web-sites for booking a hostel:





For a little higher price this can be a good alternative for a hostel. You can rent a room for a night for $30-60.

There are lots of motels around America which offer a decent room for a reasonable price. The price may vary depending on the amount of people who will be staying. A lot of motels also offer breakfasts that can be extremely simple (a toast and coffee) or really fulfilling (eggs, fruit, bread and buns, juices and pastry).

Here is a list of very affordable motels:


Best Western

(800) 528-1234


Comfort Inn

(800) 228-5150


Days Inn

(800) 325-2525



(800) 553-2666


Embassy Suites

(800) 362-2779


Holiday Inn

(800) 465-4329



(800) 228-9290


Motel 6

(800) 466-8356


Quality Inn

(800) 228-5151



(800) 333-3333



(800) 272-6232


Red Roof Inns

(800) 843-7663


Renaissance Hotels

(800) 228-9898



(800) 325-3535


Super 8 Lodge

(800) 800-8000



(800) 578-7878




You can also find a budget accommodations in student campuses of american universities. Besides, rooms are offered not only for students. The cost differs depending on what university it is, but normally it is a little higher that in a youth hostel, but lower than in a motel. The room can be for one, two or three people. Some dorms have kitchens. The student life is quite active, so you will always have things to do on campus. You can meet a lot of new interesting people. So it's worth to try.

Bed & Breakfast

The popularity of this type of hotels is growing at a rapid pace. Travelers can spend a night or two in a private house for a price even lower than in a youth hotel. One or two rooms with a bathroom – this is what you can count on. The average price per night is $40-70. Usually it is a family business so you will be welcomed very warmly and taken good care of.


Staying in camps can make your traveling through America really cheap. It is very easy and fun, besides there are campings all over the country. But the most popular are those located in national parks. To put a camp there it is usually around $15 per night. It is better to call the administration and find out if there are available spots. A lot of campings also offer bathrooms and showers. It is even cheaper (or sometimes free) to camp in national forests, but there are no facilities for travelers and they are harder to get through.

If you decide to travel this way, make sure you have all necessary supplies: sleeping bag, tent, lantern, pot,etc.

Also, a few more words about camping – protect the environment:

·      Clean out all the trash after yourself;

·      Be careful starting a fire;

·      Read the weather forecast for days when you will be camping;

·      Be careful staying al-fresco;

·      Be aware of bears – keep all your food in closed  boxes;

·      don't walk far away from the camp without letting anyone know.

For additional information contact with the local office of Kampground of America or drop into the nearest bookstore.

Rancho and resorts

For those who want to have real fun during their vacation period, it is recommended to visit a rancho or a resort. At the rancho you will be offered truly American activities. After a week at the rancho you will learn how to ride horseback and tend sheep.

If you want just to relax and enjoy, go to a resort. Treat yourself with a massage or exquisite food. It is quite pricey, but you will definitely remember the joy of being there.


There is another fun and budget-priced way of short-term staying – couchsurfing system. People from all over the world register at , www.couchsurfing.orgsearching or offering the couch (literally) to spend a night on. It is absolutely free and gives an opportunity to meet new friends. But the person who is offering you to spend a night on their couch is just offering you to spend a night: they don't have to clean, change your sheets or cook for you. Although, if you show yourself as a tactful and neat guest, you might have a hence to become friends with the owner and still get your free meal :)

Couchsurfing is perfect if you like to communicate with different people, learn their culture while saving a lot of money.

Here (link) you can learn all about it and read some advice about how to use the couchsurfing system.

The alternative for couchsurfing is«Hospitality Club» (www.hospitalityculb.org). This service also helps travelers to find free accommodations around the world.

Tax refund

You've been working all summer and paying your taxes just like any other legit American employee! Why not return these money after you come back home? You can check the amount of money that you've paid in your last paycheck.

Now you might be thinking about how is that possible.

No worries – we can help you with that! We are waiting for you in our office to answer all your questions and help you fill out the necessary paperwork.

Our reliable tax returning partner is  RT Tax (www.RTTAX.com).

The average tax refund that this company gives to every student is around 600 USD.


Student Agency LLC - Work and Travel USA in Kaliningrad

4a Ploshad Pobedy, office #603

Phone no.: +7(4012) 52-43-53

Этот e-mail адрес защищен от спам-ботов, для его просмотра у Вас должен быть включен Javascript '; document.write( '' ); document.write( addy_text36963 ); document.write( '<\/a>' ); //--> Этот e-mail адрес защищен от спам-ботов, для его просмотра у Вас должен быть включен Javascript


Обновлено ( 28.09.2016 22:08 )

На связи:

Skype Me™!



Пользователи : 2
Статьи : 234
Ссылки : 9
Просмотры материалов : 1522928